Grain Stuffed Zucchini
Courtesy of Chef Mark Cleveland
Time: 15 to 40 mins
Time to Prep: ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆
Ease to Prep: ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆
Taste Score: ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆
Here is an interesting twist on Chef Mark’s Grain Stuffed Pepper recipe. Stuffed with grain, vegetables, and greens, this zucchini squash dish is a healthy, nutritious, and tasty vegan option.
1 to 2 Servings
- 3 medium zucchini or yellow squash
- 1½ cups of cooked mixed grain medley
- ½ cup of your choice of vegetables, diced (sweet peppers used in photo)
- ⅔ cup of greens, shredded (romaine lettuce used in photo)
- ¼ cup of sliced scallion
- 1½ teaspoons of lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small citrus, sliced (blood orange pictured)
- Salsa and fresh avocado for garnish (optional)
Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise and use a melon baller (or spoon) to scoop out the flesh all the way to the center of each half. Cut a thin strip from the bottom of each zucchini so they are able to stand without toppling over. In a mixing bowl, stir together the grains, vegetables, greens, and scallions and season with the lemon pepper and olive oil. You now have your stuffing. Load the stuffing into each zucchini half and press in slightly to create a firm zucchini “boat”. Split the 6 stuffed halves into two Ready. Chef. Go!® bags with 3 halves per bag, garnishing the zucchini with the sliced citrus. Seal the bags.
Conventional Oven: Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place both bags on a baking sheet and cook for 25 to 35 minutes.
Microwave: Place the bag on a microwave-safe dish and cook one bag at a time on high for 4 minutes.
Let the bag cool for 1 to 2 minutes and then cut it open and plate the meal to serve. The stuffed zucchini goes well with a garnish of avocado slices and salsa, which you can add before serving.